The "Meng zu Niffenau" – as the Menkenbauer was then known – has been around since 1691, initially only as a small farm. In 1753 the elector appointed "Mengg" the host of Ruhpolding. From that time on he was refreshment stop for the "Hölzer" which brought with horses wood for the salt cellars over the Jochberg to Reichenhall to the ducal “Salzsudstätte” (a site for brewing salt). From this time, the original and still preserved “Lüftelmalereien” (a special fresco painting technique which is famous in the Bavarian Alps) at the farmhouse originates, which is protected as a historic monument in Bavaria.
In 1837 the farm was acquired by Josef Oberhauser and is now lead by the sixth generation of the family since that time. Already in 1937 the first guests were accommodated, then of Mary and Joseph Maier, who was twenty years mayor of Ruhpolding. In 1950 the sawmill was built and served in addition to agriculture and small rental as a source of income.
In 1952 Touropa sent the first special trains to Ruhpolding and the tourism began. Only simple rooms were rented at first in the farmhouse and Haus Anneliese, until 1970 the guest house was built.
Since 1968, the daughter of Maria led together with her husband Josef Kloo. Daughter Hildegard and sister Anneliese the courtyard and the guest house. Since 2005, Kathrin Haßlberger now continues the family tradition.